Information for Prep Parents
We base our enrolment policy on Department of Education and Training Victoria’s neighbourhood school policy.
To determine your designated local government school, go to www.findmyschool.vic.gov.au/.
When you enrol at PHPS, we’ll ask you to provide:
- a birth certificate or current passport to prove birth
- a utilities bill or telephone bill to prove residency. Council and water rates notices are not acceptable forms of proof
- a completed immunisation certificate.
If your child is enrolling in Year 1 at the start of the new school year, please contact us on +61 3 9389 5300 or via email email@example.com
Getting your child ready for school
As part of our Transition to Prep program, we invite all children who are offered a prep position to attend school for one hour each Thursday morning during term 4, to experience school life.
During this time, parents can attend information sessions about school life, where they will also hear valuable tips and stories from current prep parents.
We send all new families a transition booklet early in term 4.
We also gift each family the book, First year at school. Essential tips for parents and carers, by Jenni Connor and Pam Linke.
We suggest families use the summer break before the new school year to:
- be positive with your child about starting school, and enjoy your child’s excitement
- show your child where the school is and talk about how you will get there
- practise the things your child will need to do to get ready for school (e.g. putting things in their bag, remembering to take a hat etc.)
- confirm your before school care and after school care arrangements. If you’re using our OSHC service, show your
- child where the facility is and talk about how they will get there
- try to arrange play dates with other families whose children will be attending PHPS.
The Department of Education and Training offers information on enrolling and starting school. Click to access these resources
Consider using the information sheets in the Sharing our journey: the transition from kindergarten to school kit, to support your child’s move from kindergarten to PHPS.